We celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas - but WHEN was Jesus born?

 

“Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, 'God with us'            Isaiah 7:14 

       🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄


It's that time of year!!  And the older I get, the faster the years go by... like toilet paper at the end of a roll!  Last Christmas seemed like just a few months ago!  

Most of us know that December 25 is not the date Jesus (Yeshua) was born in a stable in Bethlehem.  It came to be "Christmas" because of traditions such as the winter solstice and Roman festivals.

But have you ever wondered when the Savior of the world was actually born?  Some say it doesn't really matter, but God has appointed times for everything He does!  I've always been curious, so I did a little digging...

Almost everyone agrees that winter would not have been the time, because angels announced His birth to shepherds who were out in the fields watching over the flocks at night.  This was most likely in spring (the lambing season) or possibly autumn.

We also know that Caesar Augustus had issued a decree that everyone return to their hometown to be registered, and it's very unlikely he would do that during the colder months when it is difficult to travel. Jesus was born just after Joseph and Mary traveled for this census. 

And we know that John the Baptist was born 6 months before Jesus (to prepare the way of the Lord) so that gives us another time indicator.  Not to mention... a great star... the star of Bethlehem.  

Jesus died on Passover.  This was all part of God's plan, as Jesus was the 'passover Lamb' whose blood was shed for our sins.  Could it also be that Jesus was born on a feast day as well?  

If you'd like to know more about Jewish culture, so rich with meaning and symbolism, click below.

The 7 Jewish Feast Days

More info on Jewish Feast Days

After reading many articles on the possible date of Jesus' birth, I have narrowed down my favorites to these below.  Most say Jesus was born in September, during Rosh Hashana or the Feast of Tabernacles.  But one says Jesus was born in March (Passover) and this one has a lot of research behind it.  Both views have merit; both have good support for their conclusions.

Jesus born on Feast of Tabernacles

Jesus born in September 

Jesus born in autumn 

more of Jesus born in autumn

Jesus born on March 20, 6 BC

If you read these, please leave your thoughts in the comments!  

  🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

During the season we celebrate Christ's birth, I hope that you have, or will, take hold of the miracle of His birth... and the miracle of another birth... your second birth, a spiritual birth into the family of God!  

Have you ever really listened to the third verse of Hark, the Herald Angels Sing by Charles Wesley?...

  1. Hail the heav’nly Prince of Peace!
    Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
    Light and life to all He brings,
    Ris’n with healing in His wings.
    Mild He lays His glory by,
    Born that man no more may die;
    Born to raise the sons of earth,
    Born to give them second birth.  ← ✝

Jesus replied, 'Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again." 
John 3:3
  1. How can you know you've been born into God's family?  If you feel a tug on your heart, a knock at the door, a longing to know more... that's Father God drawing you to Jesus!  Just ask Him to reveal His truth to you!  He even gives us the faith to believe.  You can say a simple prayer wherever you are, and He will make His home with you!

Don't be too concerned about the exact words; God knows your heart.  But here's an example:

Lord, I admit I am a sinner. I need and want Your forgiveness. I accept Your death as the penalty for my sin, and recognize that Your mercy and grace is a gift You offer to me because of Your great love, not based on anything I have done. Cleanse me and make me Your child. By faith I receive You into my heart as the risen Son of God and as Savior and Lord of my life. Help me live for You!

He promises to be with you now on earth, which continues into eternity.  He will never leave you or forsake you.  Isn't that an amazing gift?

"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will never reject." John 6:37 

Christmas with The Chosen 2023 - The Chosen Series

"The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation." Colossians 1:15

I'm a huge fan of The Chosen TV series, it was pivotal in renewing my devotion to Christ, and it brought me back to reading the Bible on a regular basis.  I was a wandering lamb for a while, and I praise God for wooing me back to His heart.  I haven't seen "Christmas with The Chosen" before; I'm going to check it out soon! EDIT: Dec 29.  I just saw it and it's glorious.  The greatest story ever told, very well done. (Season 4 opens Feb 1, 2024!)


The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

       🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can gratitude make the world a better place?

Take One for the Team... Get the vaccine.

Woes and Wars -and just plain WORN OUT.